Everyone is Sick!

Things have been pretty quiet on the blog so far this month. That is mainly because things have been quiet in our house, so there hasn’t been much to write about. And that is because for the past five weeks we have all been sick. We have been taking it in turns, passing germs back and forth, and man, I am so over it! Andy and I have both had time off work, and last week I was home with Ella for three days while she battled a constant fever. Ella is super snuggly when she is sick, so we pretty much spent those days cuddled up on the sofa together watching Finding Nemo (“watch fishies mummy”). As she is normally a very active toddler, I will take the cuddles whenever I can get them!


This week, Ella is back to her normal self and Andy and I are both sick again with the flu. Andy’s flu is actually man-flu, so of course his is worse. (Worse for me, that is.) I read this article yesterday saying that Australia is in the middle of the worst flu outbreak on record, so at least we are not alone in our misery. The article urges people to get their flu vaccine, which I got months ago, so fat lot of good that did! But I do work in a germ-infested school, and my daughter goes to an even more germ-infested daycare, so I’m probably more likely to get sick than others.

In my last blog post I wrote about all the diverse foods Ella happily eats. But while she was unwell she pretty much only ate mandarins and bread for about a week. Even though I knew deep down it was just a phase, it started to really stress me out. (And as I finish up this post, she did indeed have two helpings of Jamie Oliver’s Chili Con Carne for dinner tonight, so looks like all the worry was for nothing and she’s back to herself.) I got this recipe for savoury muffins from a mum-friend of mine, which I made in the hopes of sneaking in some veggies into a snack food Ella loves. It definitely worked, the muffins were a winner, so here is the recipe:

Savory Pumpkin and Zucchini Muffins
1.5 cups of roasted pumpkin
1 medium tomato (chopped)
1 zucchini (grated)
1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
2 cups self-raising whole wheat flour
1 egg
1 cup milk
75g butter
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds

Mix together pumpkin, tomato, zucchini, flour and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. In a separate bowl mix together the egg, milk and butter. Create a well in the pumpkin mixture and pour your wet ingredients in. Mix wet and dry ingredients together, but don’t overdo it! Spoon into muffin tins (makes 12), and sprinkle each muffin with some extra cheddar. Bake at 180°C for 17-24 mins. Top with pumpkin seeds.

On a more positive note, I was told this week that got a new position I applied for at work. It comes with a raise and nice new office, whoop! It also comes with a request to return to full-time, so that will be an adjustment for us. I haven’t worked full time since having Ella. Andy and I have already agreed that getting a cleaner will be a necessary investment! The new job starts in November, so I will be making sure to enjoy my day off each week until then.

Andy has settled in well into his new job at my school. We drop off Ella together at daycare in the mornings and then drive in together. It’s nice to get a ride to work, especially when the mornings are rainy and cold, but I actually really miss riding my bike. Once I’m well again I am going to try and get back into cycling a few times a week as I am really struggling to fit in fitness at the moment. Last night I went on a spur of the moment walk once Ella had gone to bed, at about 8pm. I put on a podcast and stuck to busy, well lit streets, as it gets dark around 6pm at this time of year. It was great! I’m definitely going to try and incorporate some more night walks into my routine to try and get more activity in each day.

And that’s really all I have as an update. Thankfully it is Friday night, I am really looking forward to getting some rest this weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts