Our Balcony

One of the main reasons we moved to this flat in Prahran in May was that it had a decent sized balcony with a great view all the way to Port Philip Bay. Our last apartment had no outside space or view, which, in my opinion, is essential when you live in country that is actually warm for a large part of the year.

As we moved in to this place at the beginning of winter we haven't had much of a chance to enjoy our balcony yet. Aside from a few herbs, my new bike, and our drying laundry, we didn't have anything out there. Nothing to sit on or make it inviting. So this week we made the trek to IKEA to get a few outdoor basics. I always dread trips to IKEA as they inevitably lead to some sort of dispute. An English guy I work with has moved back and forth between England and Australia with his Australian wife 7 times. They have now decided to settle in Australia, as "there are only so many times you can go to IKEA without getting a divorce". Totally agree. Also, no matter how well intentioned, there is no such thing as a 'quick trip' to IKEA. We actually did this one in about an hour and a half which is probably a record, and only that fast as we had a birthday dinner to get to. Plus, being on school holidays meant we could go during a weekday, which... what a difference an empty IKEA makes! It's almost pleasant to check out all the design spaces without thousands of other people also in search of cheap Swedish furniture. We actually got through so fast that Andy thought we must have skipped a section. 

I have this idea in my head that our balcony is going to be this lovely little sanctuary, where I can peacefully read my book and have a coffee while gazing out to the sea. I've even started a Pinterest board with ideas for small balconies, which actually just makes me covet other people's homes. Pinterest is evil like that. Andy is more practical about the whole thing, probably because the balcony is not THAT big and also we are only renting this flat, so no point in putting too much effort into a place we will never own.

So we decided on just a small table and chairs for now, so that we could at least sit outside for a few meals or a glass of wine as the evenings start to get warmer. Best part about the table and chairs? They came already put together! No allen keys required! We also got a few plants and herbs which I will be adding to - I love growing fresh herbs, they are such a ripoff to buy in bunches in the supermarket.

I love our balcony! (And, I actually love IKEA. Here is a link to a post on the TED Blog with some hilarious parodies and homages to IKEA)


About to enjoy some Avo Smash out on the balcony

Comments

Popular Posts