Hello Spring!

Over last few weeks we've been having some lovely spring weather here in Melbourne, and last weekend was no exception. Blue skies, no wind and temperatures around 20 degrees, making it seem more like summer to those of us used to UK weather! 

We took advantage this on Sunday by taking my new bike for a ride along the bay to Brighton. We started out slowly, heading south from our place, down Chapel Street to Balaclava. Chapel Street is, according to this article, one of the 10 most dangerous streets to cycle down in Melbourne! I think that is more based on the author's opinion than hard facts, but I would not be surprised if it were true. One lane of traffic each way (including tram lines), cars parked end-to-end along the curb, and a cycle lane squeezed in between, mean that you are constantly on the lookout for drivers opening their doors onto your and/or pedestrians stepping out into traffic to cross the road or board a tram. I have to cycle up and down Chapel and Church (which is what Chapel turns into once you cross the river North to Richmond) 5km everyday on my ride to work, and I breath a sigh of relief everyday I get home with no accidents!

St. Kilda beach
Once we made it, cautiously on my new bike, to the beach in St. Kilda, we headed East along Beach Road. Well, we actually stuck to the bike path as Beach Road is reserved for hard core cyclists in head-to-toe lycra, training for their next triathlon. Novice and casual riders take note: the ROAD part of Beach Road is not for you! Luckily the path along the beach has it's own cycling lane in some parts, and although there are some congested areas where you have to dodge pedestrians, the scenery on the way more than makes up for it. I got used to my new bike on the path and really enjoyed riding it - it was quite smooth and easy to ride, and soon I will hopefully get used to changing gears on drop handle bars. I've drawn the line at clip in pedals and shoes for now... perhaps I will upgrade to this once I've gotten used to the bike. 

In Brighton we met up with some friends for brunch at The Deck on Bay Street. Our friends have a new puppy, a chocolate lab named Maisie, who is very cute and every time we see her Andy begs me to get a dog. I am not a dog person, and am not sure I ever will be... is it horrible for me to admit that seeing the new puppy makes me want a dog even less? Yes, I am a terrible, heartless person. It just seems like a lot of work to own a dog!

Anyway, after lunch we wandered around Church street in Middle Brighton, which is a cute main street with lots of little shops and cafes. I have been looking for a cool backpack (rucksack for the Brits) that I can wear when riding my bike but that will also look ok when I am walking around, off my bike. I am not sure this type of thing exists, well at least not for under $100 it seems. That seems like an excessive price to pay for a backpack! The search continues...

Prahran Aquatic Centre
When I got home I continued the triathlon training-themed day with a swim at Prahran Aquatic Centre. This is a heated, outdoor 50m pool less than 5 minutes walk from our house! I did 1.2km with our friend Dan - a pretty good effort considering that was my first swim in months. Apparently the pool is a gay hangout most of the summer, however it wasn't very busy this weekend. It's not quite sunbathing weather yet I guess. I did enjoy having a lane to myself the whole time! That night we went to Dan and Laura's new place in Albert Park for a BBQ - the perfect end to a lovely Sunday!
Driving around Albert Park Lake at sunset

After such a nice weekend it was such a drain to have to get up at 5:30am and go to work. Today's weather was classic Melbourne spring weather, in that it was cold and rainy in the morning, but brightened up and was a mild 20 degrees during the day. I made myself ride to work in the rain and was rewarded with a stunning sunrise this morning. Four more days of term left until our school holiday (and the marathon... gulp!)

Sunrise during my morning ride to work

Sunrise over the Yarra River


Comments

Popular Posts