2 Week Countdown...

Until the Sydney Marathon! And... I'm injured! How could this have happened?! I have been having some niggling knee pain for a while, ever since I started doing my very long runs, pretty much once I started doing more than 20k. But I kind of figured that's just par for the course when doing marathon training (probably a stupid assumption to make, more like I just ignored it and hoped for the best).  It's always gone away a few days later, and its never been THAT bad. I did my last long run a few weeks ago, 30k, and since then have been taking it easy, just doing some middle distance and shorter runs, along with a lot of yoga. On Saturday I did a fairly easy 8k run around Albert Park and my knee started hurting once I started walking at the end. Really hurting. Like sharp, intense pain, behind the kneecap, really bad pain. I can not believe this has happened. All my major training is over, I've had so many weekends that have revolved around my long run, and now I'm in a bit of denial. I can't not do the marathon!!

Saturday night Andy and I met up with some friends for dinner at The Prahran Hotel, and someone there mentioned trying Rapigel for my knee. I had never heard of it... and for good reason - it's actually for horses and dogs. It's meant to reduce inflammation and swelling in joints and tendons, and ease muscle soreness. The girl who told me about it works in a pet store and said that most of her sales are for people buying it for themselves, not for their pets. Anyway, I was feeling pretty desperate, so after doing minimal research on the internet, and finding this Today Tonight article, I headed to the pet store and bought myself a container of it. It's a topical gel that you rub on, and you get that tingly feeling, like when you apply something like 'Deep Heat'. I have to say, my knee pain is almost non existent 2 days after using it (and I was limping around in some serious pain on Saturday). I'm not sure if it's just a placebo effect, but whatever it is I am SO happy that my knee pain has gone - or at least its being effectively masked by this magical gel!

I think I am going to take it easy and not run for the rest of this week, then maybe try an easy run next week before the marathon. I am fairly certain I am still going to at least attempt the run, and my strategy at the moment will be to take walking breaks at every water station. I'm trying to ride my bike to work all week to get some cardio in - although this morning we had a crazy windstorm and I thought I was going to get blown into traffic - pretty scary. I ended up jumping on a train halfway to work as I actually thought I might die.

After this marathon I am going to take a LONG break from distance running. Andy and I have already signed up for a sprint triathlon in October, so I already have a new goal to work towards. Oh, and at the weekend I bought my first road bike! I bought it used off Gumtree, from a girl who also got it just as she was getting into triathlons (she is now obsessed and has upgraded to a carbon fibre bike) so its the perfect beginner road bike for me as I am tired of doing triathlons on my hybrid - it's just not cool!

Ok 2 more weeks... I just need to stay healthy for 2 more weeks... I can do this!

Me and my new bike! 

Comments

Popular Posts